- Instructions will be emailed to you when you order
- All wheel carriers are pre-greased
- Automotive grade timken roller bearings
- Custom stainless-steel mechanical latch with spring return & safety pin keeps wheel carrier closed
- Gas strut with damper supports the wheel during opening and holds the arm at the right angle – allowing the tailgate to be opened
- Fully serviceable via a grease nipple
- Super-tough OREsome powder coating system
- No drilling required during installation
- Fully compatible with the OREstyle rear step
- Compatible with genuine NAS rear steps
- Additional packer plate available for aftermarket hinges
- Adjustable head supporting wheel & tyre combinations up to 37 inches!
- Fully compatible with the Ifor Williams canopy
- You may want to drill one additional cross-member hole for rigidity
- You need to swap the tailgate hinge pins around to avoid conflicts with the arm
- May not work with military-defenders due to the fog light
- We recommend that this wheel carrier is not used when passengers are travelling in the rear of the vehicle, as the tailgate cannot be operated from inside the truck
You will need to swap over the tailgate hinge brackets (see product photos) during installation
After 12 months of complex development & rigorous testing, we have now launched our Defender Truck Cab Wheel Carrier.
In order to access the drop-down tailgate, we have developed this wheel carrier to open independently of the door. We have created a stainless-steel mechanical latch mechanism with spring return that secures the wheel when in motion and effortlessly opens via a specially calibrated gas strut, which holds the wheel carrier open. The arm closes and locks against rubber stops at the cross-member, not on the tailgate like other models on the market. The latch is adjustable for optimal setting of the tyre. We have also added an additional spring-loaded safety latch for your peace of mind when overlanding.
This wheel carrier was tested on a 3-month tour of Africa along with our own in-house stress tests and we are proud to say that it meets our ZERO COMPROMISE standards on quality. A true single point wheel carrier means all load weight is transferred directly into your Defender chassis.
We have used automotive-grade timken roller bearings with a custom bearing housing allowing wheel carrier owners to service their carries with a grease gun & lithium-based grease, which we recommend every 3 months. This ensures the longevity of your wheel carrier as opposed to other wheel carriers with plastic bushes that you can find on the market, which will degrade over time.
Our truck cab swing-away wheel carrier works with 90 and 110 Defenders, but will not work with 130 double cab models. Our wheel carrier has an adjustable head supporting wheel & tyre combinations up to 37 inches! We have also developed our wheel carrier to be compatible with the popular Ifor Williams canopies used on many utility vehicles.
Our Defender Truck Cab Wheel Carrier uses our super-tough “OREsome” powder coating system, which has been tested to withstand a 1000 hr salt spray corrosion test and has similar properties to British tank armour. All ORE Defender accessories are designed and manufactured in Great Britain to extremely high tolerances (0.02mm) and exceptional ZERO COMPROMISE standards of quality.
Store your spare wheel with a Truck Cab Defender wheel carrier from ORE4x4 UK.